75% of Municipalities Have No Special Regulation
While there are ordinances regarding electric fences in most cities, 75% of municipalities have no special regulation regarding our product, as we are a battery-powered security system.
Those that do regulate the perimeter security system take many different paths. Some cities may require burglar alarm licensing, while others want their building department, electrical department or zoning department to be involved. Sometimes there is a prohibition that was aimed at livestock fences that would prohibit our electric security fences purely by accident. Whatever path a city chooses, we comply with their process.
We have eight dedicated people who work with a city’s compliance process and help cities modernize their ordinances. (read a model ordinance)
The model ordinance we propose continues to prohibit the use of agricultural fences within the city, but allows for electric security fences that are powered by fence controllers that meet the international safety standard (IEC 60335-76).
We help modernize or create variance paths in over 120 cities per year.
Electric Guard Dog is certified to be safe and effective.
In the latest report of July, 2017, TÜV Rheinland of North America is accredited as a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL), by OSHA (The Occupational Safety and Health Administration) in the United States. NRTL marks like those issued by TÜV Rheinland — confirmed that the fence controllers used by Electric Guard Dog meet the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) safety standard for electric security fences and that the product is safe for use in security applications as detailed in the IEC standard.
The IEC was founded in June of 1906 by the British Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE) and the American Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) to promulgate safety standards for electrical equipment. Today, the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), the United States National Committee of the IEC (USNC/IEC), and NEMA are the US members of the IEC.
With the North American office in Boston, the IEC is the world's leading international organization in the field and their standards are adopted as national standards by members. The work is done by some 10,000 electrical and electronics experts from industry, government, academia, test labs and others with an interest in the subject.
Electric Guard Dog’s electric fence controllers have been subjected to rigorous research by Dr. John Webster, Professor Emeritus of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Wisconsin, and his team of specialists in pulsed electricity. The IEC standard, TÜV Rheinland certification to the IEC standard, and Dr. Webster of the University of Wisconsin’s reports are all available to appropriate authorities from the company upon request.
ASTM International Standard for Electric Security Fences
Additionally, Electric Guard Dog meets the ASTM International Standard Practice for Commercial Application of Electric Security Fences, ASTM F3296-19.
To quote the ASTM International Standard: “Electric security fences, in view of their high-deterrent impact, are a safe method to reduce security costs or enhance existing security. They are deployed in a wide variety of environments and geographies. In particular, electric security fences are used to decrease the need for security guards and other security systems.”
ASTM International Standards, developed in accord with the values of the World Trade Organization, number more than 12,000 and validate a product’s quality, reliability, safety—and that it lives up to its published claims. Individuals, companies, and institutions apply these Standards globally and locally.
No other perimeter security system can claim crime deterrence. We can. In a recent survey, 98% of our customers say that Electric Guard Dog has eliminated crime on their sites. The remaining 2% said it reduced theft.
Click here to see what our customers have to say about Electric Guard Dog.
From the roadway, the product is virtually invisible. But when would-be thieves get close, they immediately recognize our product and go elsewhere.
Want to learn more about how Electric Guard Dog can secure your business?
Contact an Electric Guard Dog Security Specialist today!